Below is a comprehensive list of Elgato 4K Capture Utility releases.
Elgato 4K Capture Utility Release Notes - Software Download Links
Mobile Optimized EDID
Recording mobile devices is more popular than ever, so this release includes a new mobile-optimized EDID.
This EDID blocks 4K30 output from mobile devices, which helps in cases where the mobile device adjusts the display or game frame rate down to 30fps.
When this EDID is applied, the mobile device will output 1080p60, 1080p120, or 4K60, depending on the mobile device's output capability.
Game Capture devices with adjustable EDID
- Game Capture HD60 S+
- Game Capture 4K60 Pro MK.2
To apply the new mobile-optimized EDID
- Open the 4K Capture Utility settings
- Go to the device tab
- Set the EDID Mode to internal
- From the EDID dropdown menu, select "1080p120 for mobile"
Enabled 1440p60 capture with Cam Link Pro
Sources that support 1440p60 output such as PCs and certain consoles like Xbox Series S/X can now be captured in up to 1440p at 60fps with Cam Link Pro.
Enabled 4K60 capture for Cam Link Pro Multiview
When the Multiview input is selected for Cam Link Pro, this view can now be recorded in 4K at 60fps. This enables full-quality capture of the quad Multiview layout with each input running in 1080p resolution at 60fps.
Enabled 4K60 capture for Cam Link Pro Multiview
- Fixed an issue where the "Device in use" message would show up when the device was, in fact, not in use./li>
Device support for Cam Link Pro
A powerful video mixer engineered for multicam production, Cam Link Pro equips you to capture four HDMI signals from cameras, computers, laptops, tablets and more. Stream or record in 4K or 1080p60 Full HD, get independent source control in broadcast software, and add four cameras to video conferencing apps with Elgato Multiview.
Cam Link Pro highlights:
- PCIe Card: 4 HDMI inputs.
- Stunning Quality: stream or record in 1080p60 Full HD or 4K30.
- Live Production: independent source control in OBS, vMix, etc.
- Video Conferencing: add four cameras to Zoom, Slack, Microsoft Teams.
- Multiview Modes: Picture in Picture, Side by Side, Triple, Quad.
- Stream Deck Integration: tap to switch cameras and Multiview modes.
Learn more about Cam Link Pro - http://e.lga.to/CamLinkPro
Cam Link Pro Multiview settings
With this update, the Multiview layout and configuration of Cam Link Pro can be changed right in 4K Capture Utility.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
- Fixed an issue where 4K Capture Utility would freeze or crash when playing HDR videos in the Library.
- Fixed an issue where the preview video would not resume after changing the format signal for HD60 S+ and 4K60 S+.
- When an incompatible frame rate is detected, the message overlay now links to a FAQ detailing steps to resolve the issue.
- Active recordings and Flashback are now restarted when the input signal format is changed (resolution, frame rate, HDR status). A new recording is automatically started.
Improvements in processing of video from 4K60 S+ results in up to 30% preview latency reduction.
Latency improvement varies by setup and system configuration.
Includes the latest drivers for HD60 S, HD60 Pro, and 4K60 Pro, which fix an issue that caused Microsoft Teams to freeze when opening the video settings.
New firmware for HD60 S+ fixes an issue that caused a yellow line in captured video when the incoming resolution was 4K HDR.
New firmware for 4K60 Pro MK.2 fixes an issue where, if the source is a PC, the captured video would be corrupt when pressing alt+tab to enter or exit fullscreen PC games.
A note about firmware updates: Unless you are specifically experiencing the issue mentioned, we suggest that you do not update the firmware. Updating firmware can pose risks if the update process is interrupted. If you believe your device needs a firmware update, please contact Elgato support at http://e.lga.to/help.
Bug fixes and performance improvements
Recordings made in HEVC format can now be imported into Final Cut Pro.Hide 1.7.3 Release Notes
General improvements and bug fixes
- Better handling of format changes during a recording session.
- Warning for 4K60 4:2:2 input is no longer displayed for HD60 S+ if the actual input is 4K30.
- Scrubbing in Flashback Recording no longer causes audio doubling.
- Live Commentary was erroneously included in the first recording after enabling Flashback Recording in Preferences. Not anymore.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused 4KCU to hang during format changes, or when Flashback Recording was restarted.
- 4K60 S+ Recording LED no longer flashes when Live Commentary is switched off in 4K Capture Utility.
Hot off the heels of the 4K60 S+ launch, we've got 4K Capture Utility 1.7.1 for you with an exciting new feature and of course bug fixes and performance improvements.
Multi App support for HD60 S, HD60 Pro and original 4K60 Pro
With 4K60 Pro MK.2 we launched a new feature called Multi App. It allows the capture device to be used in multiple different applications at the same time. Want to record clean 4K60 video in 4K Capture Utility while streaming in OBS Studio and private streaming to your friends in Discord? Easy.
In this update, we've extended Multi App support to HD60 S, HD60 Pro and the original 4K60 Pro.
Using Multi App is easy - Simply open the program you want to use the capture device in. Then, open another program you want to use the capture device in.
To learn more about Multi App support, take a look at this FAQ.
General improvements and bug fixes
- Improved performance and stability when capturing with 4K60 S+, especially over long durations.
- A new hotkey was added - Press F11 and 4K Capture Utility will go into fullscreen mode.
- Updated the wording when a USB issue is detected and now link to an FAQ that can help resolve USB related issues.
- Fixed a bug where if Flashback was enabled and a HDR recording was started the bit depth of the recording was 8-bit instead of the required 10-bit.
- Fixed an issue with 4K60 Pro MK.2 where audio would be desynced from video in HDR recordings
- Fixed a bug where the setting 'Allow interlaced formats' was not properly applied for Cam Link
Device Support for Game Capture 4K60 S+
At CES in January we debuted 4K60 S+ -- our most powerful external capture solution yet.
In addition to USB 3.0 connectivity for capturing to a PC, 4K60 S+ features a memory card slot to record gorgeous 4K60 HDR10 gameplay directly to an SD card without a connected computer. Onboard HEVC encoding keeps file sizes manageable, while true zero-lag passthrough displays high-fidelity Xbox One X and PS4 Pro games in their original format for an uninterrupted, authentic gaming experience.
Game Capture 4K60 S+ is available for purchase now from the Elgato Online Store.
Screen Link 1.0.5 Compatibility
Smarter, faster, smoother. This update makes Screen Link even better in some small but all-important ways:
- Improved compatibility with iOS 13.x.
- Enhanced low latency (dependent on local network performance).
- The front camera can now be un-mirrored in your capture feed.
- Overall improvements.
Download Screen Link on the iOS App Store now.
Bug Fixes and Improvements
Flashback Recording and the File Player got lots of love in this update.
- Performance improvements when using NVIDIA GPUs.
- Seeking while Flashback is active is now available while recording.
- Playback no longer stops after scrubbing.
- Scrubbing works in playback mode.
- Settings are no longer applied with a delay for HD60 S and HD60 S+.
- Clicking on 'Reset to Default' also resets picture settings.
If you're experiencing the issues mentioned below, please contact our support team to enquire about the firmware update procedure.
- Includes latest firmware that fixes compatibility issues with AMD USB controllers.
Cam Link 4K
- Includes latest firmware that fixes color reproduction issues for some cameras.
- Includes latest firmware and driver that fixes rarely occurring video issues.
Introducing Game Capture HD60 S+
Building on the iconic technology of HD60 S, HD60 S+ ushers in the future:
- 4K60 HDR passthrough
- 1080p60 HDR capture
- UVC driver
Enjoy the latest and greatest games in 4K and HDR while recording or streaming your gameplay in 1080p at 60 fps in HDR. Thanks to UVC, HD60 S+ is compatible out of the box with Windows and macOS. HDR recording is only available on Windows at this time.
HD60 S+ has onboard HDR to SDR video tonemapping, so you can play in HDR while using HD60 S+ in 3rd party software such as Streamlabs OBS, OBS Studio and XSplit.
We've made an awesome trailer for HD60 S+ that you can check out here.
- Added device support for Game Capture HD60 S+.
- Performance improvements for HEVC / HDR recording.
- A warning message will now indicate if an audio input device such as a microphone is blocked by the new Windows 10 microphone privacy settings. Learn more about these new settings here.
- HEVC / HDR recording works again with NVIDIA driver versions 436.x and later.
- HDR badge in the video library was sometimes assigned to SDR recordings. Not anymore.
- Various stability improvements.
Support for Game Capture 4K60 Pro MK.2
This update adds support for the newly released 4K60 Pro MK.2
4K60 Pro MK.2 builds upon the foundation of the groundbreaking 4K60 Pro, coming in a new, much smaller design. Just as small as the HD60 Pro and with powerful new hardware that for the first time enables you to capture full 4K60 HDR video. Now you can play in HDR plus capture immaculate HDR footage. If you don't have an HDR capable PC monitor, or you wish to live stream, no problem — 4K60 Pro MK.2 features onboard tonemapping that converts HDR to SDR. This means you can play in HDR and use 4K60 Pro MK.2 in your favorite streaming program, such as OBS Studio.
HDR10 recording and playback
4K Capture Utility gets a serious upgrade with this update. When using the new 4K60 Pro MK.2, you can now record 10-bit HDR footage in HEVC format. HEVC achieves space savings of around 30% while maintaining the same video quality when compared to traditional H.264.
- Recording HDR footage requires an NVIDIA GTX 1050 GPU or higher
HDR videos can be played back on any HDR capable display using popular video players such as VLC or Potplayer. If no HDR capable display is connected, VLC and Potplayer will tonemap the HDR video to SDR.
- Added an ”HDR" badge to HDR video thumbnails for easy identification in the Library
- Added a new hotkey "Ctrl + Shift + M" to easily toggle monitoring for Live Commentary
- Improved the settings UI for Live Commentary
Live Commentary is back and better than ever. You can now record your voice alongside game audio.
Your microphone audio is always recorded as a separate audio track, meaning you can adjust levels in your video editor. Mic volume too low? Turn it up a bit. Game volume too loud? Turn it down a dash. Now you have total control.
Live Commentary tracks are automatically added to the project file that is created with every recording. You can go into your library, right click on a video and select Open project file with to open an installed video editor, and the game video track, game audio track and microphone track will appear in the video editor timeline.
Input gain and monitoring settings let you adjust the microphone volume and listen to the microphone input. If your microphone sends a single channel or mono audio to 4K Capture Utility, you can use the Mono Downmix option to center it across both left and right audio channels.
In the library view, there is a new visual indicator that shows which recordings feature Live Commentary, and you can choose to sort accordingly.
- Separate option in Preferences to specify screenshot directory
- Improved performance when loading and filtering the video library
- Various bug fixes and improvements
With this release we're bringing a powerful new feature to 4K Capture Utility. Smart Folders are folders inside the library that can be customized to show only the videos which match a certain criteria that you can define. Folders can be setup to show only 4K videos, or videos shorter than 10 minutes, videos recorded in 60fps or with a specific tag. The list goes on and on.
New library folder structure
Together with Smart Folders, the library structure has changed. Each video is now placed inside a folder with its corresponding info file and a new project file. These folders are organized by the game title for easier sorting. This new structure will enable us to add more functionality to 4K Capture Utility in the future without cluttering up the library.
Within the folders of recorded videos there will now be a new file with the extension .aaf (Advanced Authoring Format). This is a project file that can be opened by Adobe Premiere, VEGAS Pro and other popular video editing software. Now, instead of dragging and dropping videos, simply right click on the video in the 4K Capture Utility library and open it in your preferred video editing software.
- Stream Link has been updated to provide greater performance and reliability.
- Recording with the AMD encoder is working again.
- SD video (480p and 576p) is no longer distorted in the preview and recordings when using NVIDIA GPUs.
- Recording with 4K60 Pro with high framerate inputs such as 120Hz and 144Hz are smooth again.
- Lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
- Recording is working again even if Flashback Recording is disabled.
- Default buffering setting changed to "Adaptive" from "2 sec." to automatically find the best balance between low latency and stability depending on Wi-Fi connection quality.
- Various improvements for "Adaptive" buffering mode to calculate latency more accurately.
- Improved notification text recommending how to improve Wi-Fi conditions.
Screen Link SupportWirelessly capture everything on your iPhone or iPad to your PC. And instantly record or stream it all via your favorite software, in stunning quality up to 1080p60.
Screen Link is a free app in the iOS app store that lets you instantly broadcast your game, home screen, or any app or camera from your iOS device to your PC or Mac.
Get the Screen Link app for free here.
To get started with Screen Link, please read this FAQ.
- Added Korean translation
- Desktop shortcut gets properly removed on uninstall
- "Merged" EDID mode gets hidden if HDR is enabled with 4K60 Pro
- Fixed a few crashes
- Massively reduced memory usage during recording and Flashback recording.
- AMD and Intel encoders are now configured to the correct frame rate if incoming video has a resolution of 4K30.
- Stability and performance improvements
Cam Link 4K
This update adds support for the newly released Cam Link 4K. Cam Link 4K replaces Cam Link, and supports resolutions up to 4K30 as well as on device interleaving of interlaced video for more compatibility with older camera models.
- Added user interface for firmware updates
- Interlaced input signals are now properly de-interlaced
- Added latest driver for Game Capture HD60 Pro and HD60 S
- Whitelisted NVIDIA RTX series GPUs for 4K60 encoding
- Fixed a crash that occurred when encoding video using AMD RX Vega GPU
- Stability and performance improvements
This release adds support for Elgato Cam Link 4K
Hide 1.3.0 Release Notes
With the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X came a next generation display and image format, called HDR. HDR, or High Dynamic Range, allows for a game to render with more colors and a capable TV to display those colors with much higher brightness and contrast ratio, providing a more realistic, accurate and vivid image.
With this update, we’re adding HDR10 pass-through support to 4K60 Pro. Provided you have an Xbox One S, Xbox One X, PS4 or PS4 Pro and a HDR10 capable TV, you can now play in and experience HDR while capturing or streaming in SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) thanks to our built-in tonemapping. If you want to learn more about HDR, we’ve written up some details here.
To enable HDR pass-through, open the settings of 4K Capture Utility, go to the device tab, activate the checkbox labeled “Enable HDR pass-through” and follow the prompts. If after installing 4K Capture 1.2 you do not see the option to enable HDR pass-through, your 4K60 Pro does not feature the new HDR capable hardware. We will, free of charge, replace your existing 4K60 Pro to one that is capable of HDR pass-through.
Get the details of the 4K60 Pro exchange program here.
We've made some quality of life updates to make the library even better:
Added a search field that makes it easier to find specific recordings
Editing the game and title of a recording is now easier, directly in the library's list view
Added a quick filter to easily find recordings made with Flashback
The first step in adding more control to 4K Capture Utility, this update introduces new hotkeys.
- Ctrl + Shift + S: Capture screenshot to desktop
Ctrl + Shift + F: Capture last 30 seconds
Page up/down: Move the Flashback slider plus or minus 10 seconds
Pos1: Move slider to beginning of Flashback
End: Move slider to Live Position
The installation process is much faster and won't hang while removing backup files
Fixed a problem that rarely occurred with recordings for longer than 1 hour
The Flashback slider will now dissappear when the preview is in fullscreen mode
Added info screen to indicate an invalid EDID
Fixed a crash that occurred when 4K Capture is launched and it tries to access CPU/GPU performance information
Fixed a bug in Stream Link which caused audio to be transmitted in mono
Stream Link will work even if the recording is not using the main GPU
Added a tool-tip to preferences to show thew full file path for custom EDIDs
Picture settings now properly reset to the default value if the setting was previously at minimum or maximum
Updated EDID for 2560x1440 to fix audio issues. This was made possible by community feedback!
New EDID to support 3440x1440p100
Improved device support on Intel Xeon based systems
- Driver property page is no longer empty in 3rd party software
- For 6 years and counting, creators have relied on the power of Flashback Recording to ensure they never miss a moment while foregoing the need to save countless hours of gameplay. With this update, the ability to record retroactively comes to 4KCU, and it's better than ever. Simply slide back in time, hit the record button, and your clip is immediately ready and waiting for you as an easy-to-edit MP4 file.
- With Stream Link, send live video from 4KCU directly to streaming apps like OBS Studio or XSplit. Now, you can record your gameplay in immaculate quality up to 4K60 while simultaneously broadcasting via your favorite software.
Quality of Life Improvements
- Context menu to toggle full screen or scale window to native video size
- Hide cursor in full screen mode after 4 seconds of inactivity
- Pulsing record button effect
- Source format displayed in main window
This update includes fixes and improvements across the board:
- Fixed 3/4 of video was sometimes green in rare cases until next reboot.
- Fixed unreliable timestamps for 1080p100 input signal.
- Added a "No Signal" screen for 3rd party applications.
- Scene changes no longer cause some flickering pixels at the top line of video.
- Fixed no video on passthrough TV if it gets switched on when preview in software is already running.
HD60 Pro / HD60 S
- Fixed incorrect reporting of HDCP flags.
- Recordings with 25/30 fps were mistakenly captured with 15 fps if preview was reduced to 25/30 fps.
- Recordings sometimes failed if title and game tags exceeded the maximum file name length.
- Better performance for 4K recordings when using software encoder.
- Improved video down-scaling quality.
- Fixed audio dropouts in 4K recordings.
- Audio preview properly works even if playback device is not set to 48 kHz.
- Audio and video is in sync after recovering from "No Signal" state.
- Columns in list view proportionally size when resizing window.
- Library updates immediately if content of recording folder changes.
- Multi-selection lets you remove multiple recordings at once.
- New picture settings tab in preferences allows adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation and hue.
- Added "Save" and "Cancel" buttons to explicitly keep or discard previous changes.
- Better UI when recording can't start because the GPU encoder is blocked by another application.
- Added UI to indicate recording folder is not available (e.g. if external disk is disconnected).
- Overlay message provides feedback when storing a screenshot.
This update includes improvements across the board:
- Application starts up to 3 times more quickly than before.
- Game Capture devices initialize much faster.
- Updated EDID files to fix no audio output from NVIDIA GPUs.
- A new audio level meter helps you monitor your volume even when audio preview is muted.
- Fixed a problem where audio and video was sometimes out of sync in preview.
- Increased maximum bit rates when recording at lower resolutions like 1080p.
- NVIDIA Titan X can now be used for 4K60 GPU encoding.
- Recording now starts immediately, without any delay.
- Overall improvements have been made for even better recording performance and reliability.
- Closing player automatically leaves fullscreen mode to properly display the library view.
- Various small improvements in the library view.
- Easily switch between HDMI and analog audio input when using HD60 S.
- Added "Custom EDID" selection.
- A badge on the task bar icon indicates when a recording is active.
- New tooltips explain buttons that are represented by an icon.
This first update to 4K Capture Utility is all about quickly ironing out issues you've reported this week.
- Fixed a problem where audio was partially missing in recordings in certain situations
- Solved audio / video sync issues that appeared with high frame rate input
- Solved screen tearing issues that showed up during high GPU usage
Video Encoder Fixes
- AMD R7 250X is now supported
- Video encoding properly recovers after a high CPU load
- NVIDIA Titan X can now be used for 2160p60 GPU encoding
Our main priority at this time is ensuring best possible performance and stability. If you encounter any issues recording content with 4K Capture Utility, please do contact our support team.
Hide 1.0.1 Release Notes
- First Public Release of Elgato 4K Capture Utility
- Recording and screenshots up to 4K60
- Direct recording to MP4 file
- Recording library to comfortably organize your videos
- High DPI user interface
- Device support for HD60 S, HD60 Pro and 4K60 Pro